This monument was erected to celebrate the courage, fortitude and ingenuity of the Thompsons who came from Scotland to Pictou County in 1801 and eventually settled on the East River.
Hector Thompson, his wife Janet and son Simon, Simon Thompson secured this property in 1828.
John Thompson, his wife Christian and son Alexander, Alexander Thompson secured property above Sunny Brae in 1828 and his grandson James T. Thompson owned the farm across the river from here. Other siblings of these Thompsons settled in Hants County.
August 5th 2001
(Please see Map for exact location)